- Advertisement -
Saturday, August 8, 2020
29 C
Delhi
Home Latest News First dog that tested positive for coronavirus in US dies

First dog that tested positive for coronavirus in US dies

The US Department of Agriculture reported in June that a German shepherd in New York state was the first dog in the country to test positive for COVID-19, but did not identify the owners.

Image Courtesy Zee News

New York: A German shepherd in New York that had the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in a dog in the US has died.

Robert and Allison Mahoney of Staten Island told National Geographic that their 7-year-old shepherd, Buddy, developed breathing problems in mid-April after Robert had been sick with the coronavirus for several weeks. A veterinarian tested Buddy in May and found him positive for the virus.

The US Department of Agriculture reported in June that a German shepherd in New York state was the first dog in the country to test positive for COVID-19, but did not identify the owners.

Buddy’s health declined steadily after he developed breathing problems and thick nasal mucus in April. He was euthanized on July 11 after he started vomiting clotted blood, the Mahoneys told National Geographic.

It’s unknown if the coronavirus played a role in his death. Blood tests indicated Buddy likely had lymphoma, a cancer of the immune system, veterinarians told the family.

A spokesman for the New York City Department of Health said arrangements were made to take the dog’s body for a necropsy but when the instructions were shared with the veterinarian, the body had already been cremated.

A USDA database of confirmed cases of the coronavirus in animals in the United States includes 12 dogs, 10 cats, a tiger and a lion. The agency says there is currently no evidence that animals play a significant role in spreading the coronavirus but it appears the virus can spread from people to animals in some situations.

News Credit Zee News

- Advertisement -

Subscribe to our newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news,

- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

8,000FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

NEW EDUCATION POLICY FOUNDATION OF 21ST CENTURY ‘NEW INDIA’: PM NARENDRA MODI

The new National Education Policy (NEP) is the foundation of a `new India`, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday, adding that...
- Advertisement -

MAJOR LANDSLIDE IN KERALA’S IDUKKI DISTRICT; 5 DEAD, 80 TEA ESTATE WORKERS FEARED TRAPPED

As per reports, the landslide took place at Rajamala near Munnar, a popular tourist spot in the Idukki district. 

US PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP BANS TRANSACTIONS WITH TIKTOK, WECHAT; HIGHLIGHTS INDIA’S ACTION ON CHINESE APPS

The US President has issued executive order banning TikTok from operating in 45 days if it’s not sold by the Chinese parent...

PM NARENDRA MODI EXPRESSES GRIEF AT LOSS OF LIVES DUE TO LANDSLIDE IN KERALA’S IDUKKI DISTRICT

Taking to micro-blogging site Twitter, he said that the NDRF and the administration are working on the ground to provide assistance to...

Related News

NEW EDUCATION POLICY FOUNDATION OF 21ST CENTURY ‘NEW INDIA’: PM NARENDRA MODI

The new National Education Policy (NEP) is the foundation of a `new India`, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday, adding that...

MAJOR LANDSLIDE IN KERALA’S IDUKKI DISTRICT; 5 DEAD, 80 TEA ESTATE WORKERS FEARED TRAPPED

As per reports, the landslide took place at Rajamala near Munnar, a popular tourist spot in the Idukki district. 

US PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP BANS TRANSACTIONS WITH TIKTOK, WECHAT; HIGHLIGHTS INDIA’S ACTION ON CHINESE APPS

The US President has issued executive order banning TikTok from operating in 45 days if it’s not sold by the Chinese parent...

PM NARENDRA MODI EXPRESSES GRIEF AT LOSS OF LIVES DUE TO LANDSLIDE IN KERALA’S IDUKKI DISTRICT

Taking to micro-blogging site Twitter, he said that the NDRF and the administration are working on the ground to provide assistance to...

BEIRUT REELS FROM HUGE BLAST AS DEATH TOLL CLIMBS TO AT LEAST 135

More than 5,000 other people were injured in Tuesday`s explosion at Beirut port, Health Minister Hamad Hassan said.
- Advertisement -